Your monthly checklist for June gardening tips. Our expert knowledge and advice will help your garden flourish this month.
Fruit & Vegetables
Planting and Sowing
- Sow summer vegetables: Plant tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and zucchini in June for healthy growth.
- Practice succession planting: Sow quick-growing vegetables like lettuce and radishes every two weeks for a continuous harvest.
- Prepare soil for fall crops: Clear debris, enrich the soil with compost and create raised beds for fall vegetables.
Maintenance and Care
- Monitor fruit trees for pests: Regularly inspect trees for aphids, caterpillars, and diseases to prevent infestations.
- Prune and train fruiting vines: Maintain healthy growth and fruit production by pruning and guiding vines.
- Watering: Keep your fruit and vegetables well watered to promote healthy growth. We have a great range of multi-spray guns to suit all needs.
Harvesting and Preserving
- Harvest ripe produce: Pick tomatoes when fully coloured and slightly soft for the best flavour.
- Preserve surplus produce: Freeze berries, make jams, pickles, or dry herbs for long-term enjoyment.
- Compost fruit and vegetable waste: Dispose of kitchen scraps and plant trimmings in a compost bin for nutrient-rich soil. Try using the Hozelock EasyMix 2-in-1 Composter.
Planting and Sowing
- Plant summer-blooming flowers: Sow marigolds, zinnias, and cosmos for vibrant blooms throughout the season.
- Start perennial flowers from seeds: Begin growing coneflowers, black-eyed Susans, and lupines from seeds to establish long-lasting blooms in your garden.
- Choose the right planting location: Select sunny spots with well-draining soil for optimal growth and flowering of your plants.
Maintenance and Care
- Deadhead spent flowers: Remove faded blooms regularly to encourage continuous flowering and maintain a tidy appearance in your flower beds.
- Water flowers effectively: Deeply water your plants, focusing on the root zone, and consider using a drip irrigation system to deliver water efficiently and conserve moisture.
- Mulch around flowers: Apply a layer of organic mulch around your flowers to suppress weeds, retain moisture, and regulate soil temperature, promoting healthier growth and reduced maintenance.
- Feed your flowering plants: Apply a balanced flower fertiliser to provide essential nutrients for robust growth and abundant blooms. Make your own with our Natural Gardening Range.
- Prune for shape and rejuvenation: Trim back leggy growth and prune overgrown branches to encourage bushier growth and promote better flowering.
- Attract pollinators: Plant pollinator-friendly flowers such as lavender, bee balm, and salvia to attract beneficial insects, ensuring successful pollination and enhanced flower production.
Greenhouse Setup and Maintenance
- Ensure proper ventilation: Maintain good airflow to prevent greenhouse overheating. Use fans and shade cloth for temperature and humidity control.
- Clean greenhouse surfaces: Remove dirt and debris from windows and benches for optimal sunlight exposure and disease prevention.
Plant Care and Propagation
- Monitor watering needs: Check moisture levels regularly and adjust watering accordingly. Explore our automatic watering range so you never forget to water.
- Provide shade for delicate plants: Protect sun-sensitive plants with shade cloth or light-diffusing materials to prevent leaf damage.
Pest and Disease Management
- Implement integrated pest management (IPM) strategies: Control pests like aphids and spider mites using organic insecticides or predatory insects.
- Monitor and control humidity levels: Prevent fungal diseases by maintaining proper humidity through natural ventilation or dehumidifiers.
Lawns, Ponds & Wildlife
- Regular mowing: Keep your lawn at an ideal height of 2-3 inches by mowing it regularly.
- Water deeply and infrequently: Water your lawn deeply once or twice a week to promote deep root growth. Explore our NEW Sprinkler Range to keep your grass green and healthy.
- Clear debris and maintain water quality: Remove debris from your pond to keep it clean and maintain water quality. Hozelock Aquatics offers a great range of pond maintenance solutions.
- Monitor and top-up water levels: Check water levels regularly and top up as needed with dechlorinated water.
- Create a wildlife-friendly habitat: Plant native flowers, install bird feeders, and provide shelter for wildlife.
- Provide nesting sites: Place bird boxes or nesting structures in your garden to offer shelter and nesting opportunities for birds. Different species have various preferences, so consider the specific needs of birds in your area.
We hope you enjoyed reading about the top gardening jobs in June. If you’d like to get involved, drop us a comment below with your plans for this month!