As the days grow shorter, temperatures drop, and daylight diminishes, it’s essential to consider the impact on your garden tools and Hozelock products. Proper maintenance during this season is crucial to prevent unexpected winter damage, ensuring they’re ready for use next year without any surprises. To assist you in this endeavour, we’ve compiled a checklist of essential winter maintenance tips to help you safeguard your gardening equipment and Hozelock products.
To protect your outdoor water supply during colder months, it’s essential to take some proactive steps. Begin by turning off the mains to your outdoor taps, and make sure to insulate any exposed pipework to shield them from freezing temperatures.
If you happen to notice a leak at the tap, our connectors are crafted for a leak-free experience. However, if a connector is leaking, it’s possible that the O Rings on your watering tool may have deteriorated over time or suffered damage. To quickly resolve this issue, Replace the O Rings . Simply remove the old O Ring and replace it to promptly repair any drips you might come across.
When preparing for winter, don’t forget about your water timers. Detach them, give them a thorough cleaning, and store them in a frost-free location until spring arrives. Additionally, it’s important to turn off the water supply to any water irrigation kits you have installed and locate the shut-off valve that controls the water flow to the system. Open the end caps to allow any remaining water to drain out, ensuring your irrigation system is protected from freezing temperatures.
When you take your sprinkler in for the winter, or back out again in the spring, it’s a good opportunity to clean it, so that it keeps running smoothly the next summer.
Round Sprinkler Plus and Pro (2332, 2335, 2336) the filter is located inside the Hozelock connection. Simply unscrew the yellow connector to remove the filter. Rinse the filter under a tap to clean it.
Rectangular Sprinkler Plus and Pro (100-100-250, 100-100-252, 100-100-263, 100-100-265, the filter is inside the Hozelock connection. Simply untwist the filter to remove. Clean the filter under running water and replace. The sprinklers also have a built-in cleaning tool to unblock the jets on the spray bar. Twist the cleaning tool to remove it. Use the cleaning tool to clear out the holes and free any blockages.
You can find more maintenance videos on the product pages linked above!
To safeguard your gardening equipment from potential ice-related damage during the winter, we strongly advise bringing in your hose end tools. This includes items like spray guns, lances, sprinklers, car brushes, and multi-way tap adaptors. Even a small amount of residual water left inside these tools can freeze in sub-zero temperatures, leading to expansion and potential harm.
To prevent this, store these tools in a warm, frost-free location where any remaining water cannot freeze. The same precaution applies to any automatic watering sprinkler systems in your garden—ensure you thoroughly drain and store them away to shield them from winter’s freezing grasp.
Achieving sustainability in your gardening practices hinges on proper watering techniques. Here are some essential guidelines to follow:
- Optimal Timing: To minimise water loss from evaporation and promote effective moisture absorption by plants, water your garden during the cooler parts of the day, either early in the morning or late in the evening.
- Root-Focused Watering: Concentrate your watering efforts on the root zones of your plants instead of indiscriminately spraying water across the entire garden. This targeted approach ensures that water reaches where it’s most needed while preventing unnecessary runoff.
- Drip Irrigation: Consider the use of a drip irrigation system, which delivers water directly to the base of your plants. This method not only reduces water wastage but also fosters healthier plant growth by providing consistent and efficient hydration.
When it comes to hosepipes, proper winter care is essential. Begin by draining all your garden hoses, ensuring you detach them from outdoor taps and eliminate any remaining water within the pipes to prevent potential frost-related damage. It’s crucial to attach a hose end accessory, such as a spray gun or nozzle, to your hose and leave it in the open position. This ensures that the water can fully drain out, as AquaStops on both ends may otherwise impede water release.
Our alternative hoses have fabric outer layers, so thorough drying is equally important before storing them. Avoid sealing them in an airtight container, as this can lead to mold growth.
We also recommend giving your hoses a proper cleaning before winter storage. Wash them with warm soapy water to remove any dirt or residue. For more detailed information on how to use and maintain your Superhoze, refer to our instructional video. By following these steps, you can keep your hoses in excellent condition and ready for action when spring returns.
To ensure the longevity and effectiveness of your pressure sprayers, it’s imperative to follow these maintenance steps:
- Thorough Cleaning: Start by cleaning and completely emptying all chemicals from your pressure sprayers. Take a moment to inspect all equipment for any signs of wear or damage. Storing them in protective packaging is a smart way to shield them from potential harm and keep them primed for the upcoming season.
- Environmentally Friendly Disposal: When disposing of any excess solution, it’s essential to do so responsibly. Avoid pouring it down the drain and instead place it in the appropriate area of your garden or follow local disposal regulations.
- Joints Maintenance: Grease all the joints, specifically using silicone grease for sprayers. Ensure that these components are in excellent working condition, paying particular attention to the valve’s functionality.
- Nozzle Care: Clean the nozzle and the nozzle holder thoroughly, as residue buildup can affect spray performance.
- Lance Filter Maintenance: Keep the lance filter clean to prevent clogs and maintain consistent spray quality.
- Pump Disassembly: In some cases, disassembling the pump to grease or replace the valve and seals may be necessary. This step is crucial for preserving the sprayer’s functionality.
- Service Kit Option: To guarantee perfect working condition for the next year, consider ordering a service kit. These kits typically include all the necessary seals for a comprehensive sprayer overhaul.
By following these maintenance steps, you’ll ensure that your pressure sprayers remain in top-notch shape, ready to tackle your gardening needs efficiently in the seasons ahead.
As the temperatures begin to drop, it’s an opportune moment to undertake some pond maintenance before the water becomes too cold to handle comfortably. Additionally, consider the installation of protective netting over the pond to prevent debris from falling in and disrupting its ecosystem.
To assist with these tasks, Hozelock Cyprio provides a selection of pond nets featuring various head sizes tailored for pond maintenance and fish-keeping activities. These nets offer practical solutions to keep your pond clean and your aquatic environment in optimal condition throughout the changing seasons.
Pumps and Filters
Caring for your pond’s pumps and filters during winter is vital for the health of your aquatic ecosystem. While operating the unit in winter can maintain a basic level of beneficial bacteria in the Biological Filter and prevent pond icing, it’s crucial to ensure the unit doesn’t freeze internally, as this can lead to damage. If you opt to switch the unit off for the winter season, remember to give it a thorough cleaning before resuming filtration in the spring.
When your pumps and filters are not in use, it’s advisable to remove them, clean them meticulously, allow them to dry completely, and store them in a dry, frost-protected area. To ensure adequate ventilation and drying, store the unit with the lid or foam cover off.
Furthermore, winter provides an ideal opportunity to perform maintenance on your filters and pumps. Take the time to inspect and service them, addressing any worn components such as O-rings or bulbs. For product advice and spare parts, don’t hesitate to contact Hozelock Cyprio Consumer Services at 0121 313 1122 or visit www.spares.hozelock.com. By following these guidelines, you’ll ensure that your pumps and filters remain in optimal condition, contributing to the well-being of your pond’s ecosystem.
We hope you enjoyed reading our blog on ‘How to Maintain Your Hozelock Products’. If you’d like to get involved, drop us a comment below with your gardening tips!